Is it legal for you to own a suppressor or a short-barreled rifle/shotgun?

US map where suppressor/NFA ownership is legal

The first thing you need to do is determine if suppressor/NFA ownership is legal where you live. Currently, the following states allow private ownership of suppressors: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV, and WY. Even if you live in one of these states, you should verify that owning a suppressor/NFA firearm is legal in your area.

Many people are under the mistaken impression that they need a “Class 3” license in order to own a suppressor/NFA firearm. This is not true. If you live in a state where ownership is legal, and you can legally own a firearm, then you can buy a suppressor/NFA firearm.

How can I register my purchase?

You can avoid initial work required to setup a trust or corporation

Only you can be in possession of the suppressor
Requires signature from chief law-enforcement officer where you live
Requires fingerprint cards

Best for:
People who don’t plan to buy a lot of NFA items
People who just want to get the buying process started
People who always plan to be present when the suppressor is in use

Anyone listed as a trustee in the trust can be in possession of the suppressor
A revocable trust can be changed at any time without notifying the ATF
You only need to create the trust once. The same trust can be used for all future suppressors or other NFA items (such as short barreled rifles)

Some initial work and cost is required to setup the trust. Many people create their trust with software like Quicken WillMaker – or you can also talk to a gun trust lawyer who will set it up for you.
In some states, a trust needs to be registered with the state – although that is not a requirement in most cases.

You now (July 13, 2016) need to file fingerprint cards and notify your local Chief law enforcement officer for new transactions involving any member of your trust.

Best for:
People with family members who want to share possession of the suppressor
People who want to go together with friends on the purchase of a suppressor
People who want more flexibility in the long run


Here are examples of some attorneys or services to help organize your trust. These are not affiliated with Wilson Combat in any way. GunTrustLawyer.com (Nationwide) NFALawyers.com (Nationwide) TheFirearmLawyers.com (Nationwide) NfaFirearmsTrust.com (Nationwide) 199trust.com (Nationwide) RMPllp.com (Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri) TexasNFAtrust.com (Texas)


Any officer of the corporation can be in possession of the suppressor
If you already have a corporation, this can be easier than a trust since you will avoid the initial trust set up.
No signature is required from the local chief law-enforcement officer, but “notification” will be required.

You need to keep your corporation in good standing, which can be more work than a trust (which is basically a “create it and forget about it” process in most cases)

Best for:
Anyone who already owns a corporation, and wants that corporation to act as the owner of the suppressor.

How can I receive my purchase?

We can’t ship a suppressor/NFA firearm directly to your house- you will need to locate an FFL holder in your state with a Class 2 or 3 SOT (Special Occupational Taxpayer License) that can handle the transfer for you.  We can even help you locate an FFL/SOT holder in your area if you don’t already deal with one.

You won’t be able to take possession of the suppressor/NFA firearm until the transfer process between us and your dealer has been completed by the ATF and then your registration paperwork is approved by the ATF after filing for your $200 tax stamp. This typically takes between 4-6 weeks to transfer the product to the dealer and then 12 or more months for the ATF to grant your approval in the form of a tax stamp. Feel free to check out the ATF FAQ or AR15.com’s FAQ for more information on the process.

Step 1-Identify the item you are interested in purchasing and make sure it is legal in your state. Pay for the item either online or by contacting us.

Step 2-Identify a dealer in your state that is able to complete the transfer paperwork from us to them and provide us with that dealer’s contact or license information

Step 3-Upon manufacture of item, fill out various required forms and send to ATF with the assistance of your transfer dealer and wait for ATF approval to possess the item